(Nick Galifianakis for The Post) | Adapted from an online discussion. Hi Carolyn: I'm so sad as I'm writing this. Two and a half years ago, my kids persuaded me to adopt a cat from an animal shelter. We did our homework, the staff at the shelter got to know us, and when they had the "right" cat for us, they pinged us. It is clear this is not a family-friendly cat. We have heaped love and toys on her, talked with her vet, provided the proper food, stimulation, quiet spaces, etc., and it's not working. The cat hisses every time anyone tries to get close (except when it is time to eat!), poops on the floor routinely — even though we have done ALL the vet's suggestions about litterboxing — and causes lots of stress to me and my kids. She has attacked all three of us, completely unprovoked. I get along great with other cats. Is it ever okay to give a cat back to the shelter? I feel she would be much happier in a different, quieter home. My kids (12, 10) would be devastated, even though they know I deal with 99 percent of the cat issues. — Anonymous |
No comments:
Post a Comment