https://www.sunstar.com.ph/ |
- “Breathe again” streams on June 3
- Can video games affect child’s intelligence?
- Embracing change on the beach
- Zipping through Manila
| “Breathe again” streams on June 3 Posted: 31 May 2022 07:53 AM PDT The "seven-year itch" is real. And the sad fact is, some couples cannot fight the urge to get a little "scratch" on the side. This is how trouble starts in "Breathe Again", a Vivamax original movie, starring Ariella Arida, Tony Labrusca, Jela Cuenca, Ivan Padilla.After proposing marriage to Joanna (Ariella Arida), Paulo (Ivan Padilla) takes her to the beach, knowing that she loves swimming. He also encourages her to go freediving while he joins his friends for an exciting ride with his newly acquired heavy bike. One of the riders happens to be a very sultry woman named Vivien (Jela Cuenca). Soon, Paulo finds himself in ecstasy as she gives him a different kind of ride. Meanwhile, Joanna takes freediving lessons from an extremely hot instructor named Robert (Tony Labrusca). Joanna's repressed sexuality is awakened, and boldly lets Robert to dive into her. How long will each illicit affair last? Who will suffer much because of it? Will they ever get past their stifling guilt and breathe again? Stream this movie on June 3, 2022 and find out. "Breathe Again" is directed by Raffy Francisco who has a deep love for the ocean. Over the years, he has captured stunning underwater photos and videos. He has a solid background in directing TV commercials that range from beauty, tech, food, and more. "Breathe Again" is his first full length film. Doing steamy scenes is not new to Miss Universe Philippines (2013) Ariella Arida, who starred in "Sarap Mong Patayin" and "More Than Blue". How far will she go with Tony Labrusca is something to look forward to. This is Labrusca's comeback film in Viva after "Hindi Tayo Pwede" in 2020. To stream "Breathe Again", go to web.vivamax.net or download the app and subscribe via Google Play Store, App Store, or Huawei App Gallery.Watch all you can on Vivamax for only P149/month and P399 for 3 months for bigger savings. A 3-day access to Vivamax at a hot price of P29 is also available. And for as low as P99, you can get the new VIVAMAX PLUS. This special feature gives you a chance to stream digitally enhanced movies, concerts, digital premiere nights and advance screenings of your favorite titles. (PR) |
| Can video games affect child’s intelligence? Posted: 31 May 2022 07:49 AM PDT Dear Dr. Fritz,Please call me Maya. I am quite concerned with my 9-year old son. He plays video games almost day and night, except when he is at school or doing his homework. But, whenever he has free time, he is glued to these video games. I am now worried because I am afraid that these video games could rotten my son's intelligence.Thanks and God bless.Maya of SurigaoDear Maya of Surigao,Don't worry because a new study shows that children might get a brain boost from playing hour after hour of video games. The said study which was published in the journal Scientific Reports reported that American kids between 9 and 10 years of age who spent more time playing video games had a significant increase in their intelligence scores after retesting two years later -- amounting to an extra 2.5 IQ points above the average.Well, that is understandable as playing video games requires active strategizing, planning and executive decision-making. And I think that goes the same way with strategy games. So, there's nothing to worry much on how video games can affect the intelligence of your son. However, you should also consider the possible negative health effects from video gaming that were found in other research. This includes an increase in the risk for depression and anxiety, impeding their getting into becoming adult and physical ills, like obesity.If you really want an intelligent boost, there are so much out there that could help. Chess, piano, guitar or violin lessons, scrabble, tennis are just a few options. The problem with video games is that they are designed to be addicting. So, you can see how your son is glued to his video games. But, remember the more your child sits and do more with his video games, that is unhealthy and dangerous.Good luck!Dr. Fritz(Dr. Fritz Legarde Espedilla is an aesthetic dermatologist and surgeon and a clinical sexologist. She is also trained in hypnotherapy and Medical Acupuncture. She is the co-host of digital page of Superbalita. She has been in the broadcast media for more than a decade and has written a book based on her 15 year stint with her radio program, "Healthy is Sexy Secrets ni Dr. Fritz.". For your questions, you may send them to Dear Dr. Fritz, c/oSunstar-Davao Publishing Inc., Ebro-Pelayo Building, Jacinto St., Davao City, (former Department of Foreign Affairs office), across Ateneo de Davao University and beside Holy Child School of Davao, or you e-mail them to dokfritz@yahoo.com. If you don't wish your letter to be published, we regret that we cannot answer them. Thank you for your understanding.) |
| Posted: 31 May 2022 07:43 AM PDT Although I love to visit beaches, I would opt to stay in a hut with a cold drink to watch the beach waters dancing. I am used to contemplating while listening to the beach waves, and I am upset when I hear loud voices. Hence, when the Ateneo de Davao University- School of Nursing (SON) organized team building at the beach, I was hesitant to attend. Would I enjoy watching the beach waters and listening to beach waves with the crowd?And so, we arrived at around 8:30 AM, the cold breeze welcomed us, but honestly, I was a bit frustrated to see how far the actual venue from the entrance was. But I spoke to myself, "patience is a virtue," funny, but as I took every step, I chanted the said words. Until I reached the place, I started to hear people talking, so happy after two years that we finally came together face to face. Then I realized, oh, these lovely people are those with whom I have worked together online.But still, I opted to watch the beach water by far and listen to the beach waves. Yet, eventually, I noticed that I enjoyed the team-building activities. I see that everyone works as a team to reach the game's objectives. Some groups were silent types, and others were happily noisy, which I thought would upset me. But it turned out that I noticed the joy encapsulating my spirit. The whole activity is like medicine to me, curing my tired thoughts due to work responsibilities.And when I sat beside Dr. Liza Floresca, SON newly appointed Dean, I felt very comfortable. Now I can speak my mind and is not afraid that my ideas will be devalued. As the new Academic Coordinator, I think that I can do more with her openness and will not be hesitant to explore what will be better for the SON.And I felt the same with Ms. Magnolia Jadulang, the SON-Related Learning Experience Coordinator. We might have had misunderstandings in the past for petty reasons, but I did not expect we would come this far, trusting each other. Working comfortably together, enjoying each other's company. This seems unreal for two people with different personalities and views, but it happened, and now we share the same goals.While watching the seasonal clinical instructors, Melba Irene Gabuya, Cynthia Villanueva, Jenneth Estampa and Mary Hazel Facundo, I felt triumphant. I remember all of us, including those unable to attend the team building, working as one despite the many adversities. The "22" years of joys and tears have made us stronger and more united.While I am mesmerized not by the beach water anymore but by the clinical instructors playing, eating, and chatting together. I see the amazing young clinical instructors who will be the future epitome of the SON. They were like "us" 22 years ago, quick, and highly spirited. Aiza Lyra Tan thinks fast, Czar Jacobe is artistic, Michael Cahandig is goal-oriented, and Francis Handugan is eloquent. While Mikee Beldua Jr. is hard-working, Henry Barriga Jr. is honest, Josephine Serra is organized, and Trisha Guioguio is a good leader. These are the few among the best. So, it seems like all the new Clinical instructors have their own talents that, when grouped together, will make the SON best among the best.So, I guess a significant change is coming for the SON. But remember that we are the instruments for change because we are the change we pursue. So, let us welcome change by letting go of the past and learning from it, and I think this is the beginning of attaining our objectives for the SON.All of these I realized while I was on the beach. But this time, I did not just stay in the hut with a cold drink to watch the beach waters and listen to the beach waves. But I enjoyed the activities with the seasoned and young, newly hired clinical instructors, not only with a cold drink but ironically with a hot coffee. Oh now, I am starting to embrace the change! |
| Posted: 30 May 2022 12:02 AM PDT MANILA, once the address for three Davaoeño friends decades ago. A foodie-medical board reviewer in Harrison, Pasay, an art lover-flight attendant in Vito Cruz, Makati, and a wanderer-architecture student in Project 7, Quezon City. Since leaving, the city has become a transient stop for connecting flights. If lucky, visits longer than a couple of nights were rare. They all had their share of Manila. It's too busy to handle for this bunch.After being cooped up for the duration of the pandemic, traveling out of the hometown is always a good idea. Manila, however, was last on the local destinations list. How did they end up there?The revisit was a split-second decision. It was prompted by chit-chat over an art exhibit in the National Museum. It didn't take a lot of convincing for the ex-flight attendant to convince the other two, who were hungry to travel.Art and, most especially, cuisine are always good reasons to hop on a plane and dare the challenges of Manila. However, all should be in place, from the ideal accommodation to transportation. Age dictates that comfort is a must. You, dear reader, will be able to relate someday.Day 1 was out of Manila to Tagaytay. First time for one, do an ocular visit to a new bed and breakfast place, and of course, dine at the popular restos.Of all days to hold a company outing it had to be on the day they visited. All of three Antonio's outlets were closed, add to that, first-timer's picture of tree-lined country roads Tagaytay was crushed.But everything happens for a reason. The Girasol B&B menu was a discovery. The Angus Beef Tapa, Gourmet Girasol Sardines and the Imus Longganisa can rival the best breakfast offerings of the popular restos. The trio can attest to this claim. The rooms are gorgeous and spacious, too!Back in Manila after lunch with buko pie and other delicacies on hand, they killed time in IKEA while waiting for dinner time. Okada's Medley Buffet over Sofitel's Spiral was the appointed spot because of location. The offering wasn't able to rival with the flavors of the catch-up stories, which was cut by closing time.Day 2 was at the National Museum to view the exhibit of Magellan's journey, the main purpose of the trip. But first, a visit to Juan Luna and Ang Kiukok's murals at the entry hall. They wished they had more time to spare to visit the other galleries.After feasting on visual arts it was time to feast at Manila Hotel's Cafe Ylang-ylang. The foodie did his research and the reviews on the outlet's buffet lunch were impressive.Before that happened, the wrong turn gave the trio a chance to reminisce about old times in Manila—Liwasang Bonifacio, the Metropolitan Theater, Jones Bridge, Quiapo, the Quinta Market, Recto and schools in the University Belt, and Luneta. Those were the jeepney-riding days in 80's Manila. Nostalgic.The day ended with a so-so Japanese dinner in Makati.On the last day, Chinese for lunch at the neighborhood Jade Garden was in order. It was a hearty one. Then a visit to the Mary Grace Cafe for a bite of grilled ensaymada to end the trip.Cruising at 37,000 feet in an air-condition-challenged PAL aircraft filled to capacity with revenge travelers, sleep was evasive. Home, rest and sleep was not too far away though. It was the most comforting thought.When will the next visit to Manila be? That will remain a mystery (aka not in a long time). Grin.***Follow The Commuter on FacebookFor more travel stories, visit www.jeepneyjinggoy.comFor lifestyle stories, visit dduriandaily.com |
| You are subscribed to email updates from SUNSTAR. To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States | |
No comments:
Post a Comment